Friday, October 1, 2010

Snow White and Russian Red.

Dorota Maslowska leaves me ignorant, despite she’s called a new rising star of Polish literature. And I can see she’s definitely a new one... just I couldn’t stand the very descriptive context in which she tried to make an insight of modern Polish youth. Beside the true hate of Russians [and everything what’s connected to that], the regular fun and loosing sense of reality under the impact of drugs and creation of virtual reality thanks to an addiction of the New Age – video games. I guess I will never get through the real meaning of the book, as I stopped reading it after a few pages. Maybe I’m getting older or maybe the translation was too direct, but I could get the opposite of aesthetic pleasure of reading. This game of words seemed so dirty and unpleasant to my senses of beauty. Maybe not even unpleasant but just SIMPLE, like hearing the chat between two drunken guys of my backyard – who are not kids anymore, but they remained the same, getting all great influences of street life – especially all swear words and all the synonims of normal things in more „poetic” way. Well, I leave this peace of modern literature for another undefinite time with hope that someday somebody will tell me the whole story of „The Polish – Russian war under the Red-White flag”.

2 comments:

  1. There is another book of this "artist", "Queen's peacock". Actually, "to let the peacock go" (or: "release the peacock"), what means: to vomit.
    Unfortunately, I was forced to read it recently but... after 50 pages or so my peacock has been released and I decided to not waste my time on this piece of "art". Maybe I'm not grown up enough cause I don't understand it, or: I understand but I don't appreciate?
    Well, this lady, Masłowska, won a price for young writers (Nike 2006) for her peacock. It is really a shame that we reward consumed food, instead of literature.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I was kinda scared of comments of Polish fellows - as you know - maybe the thinking is different, if such "slang" book can be rewarded as a young talent... well, i would give her a prize for collecting all the audio data of the darkest corners of urban reality... well, i can hear it on the street, why the fuck i should read it in a book? Then book becomes dirty like a street... maybe i'm like you - old-fashioned in choosing literature... or maybe nobody did something like this before - documented all the trash from street life [especially expressions] in a book, so here you go - get the prize :D

    ReplyDelete